Friday, January 26, 2007

A Balanced Post . . . amongst the hatred

From someone on Epicski.com.

It's a learning experience all the time.

The other night I screwed up. I've been patrolling 4 years now and things can still go wrong. Luckily it wasn't a patient or injury or something like that. Just a bad call by me. But it goes to show you that there's always more to learn.

If someone wants to show you how to do something. Don't hold back. Don't look at it as "I'll show him cause he screwed up". They're watching you to show you how to guide what you're doing in the right direction... How to better what you already have. Become interested in learning.

The first year isn't to ween the weaker people out, but rather to make you realize you are more capable of doing what you thought you couldn't. Light the fire inside and make it a passion to learn.

Push yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing something, talk to the PD and tell him. He might set you up with someone to go practice with. It might be a patroller or a PSIA instructor.

Some people are harder to learn from than others. I've had my share of people I can go out and listen to and better myself by one little thing they tell me to do. Other instructors had completly dismantled my bump skiing so bad that I went from skiing them without thinking and doing great (not bragging) to the point of where I completley lost my capability to ski them. This was a level 3 Instructor!

My point is, go LEARN this year. Don't worry about "did I pass or fail", because I guarantee you by the end of this year you'll be a better patroller and a better skier than you were in the past.

Keep up the hard work.

No comments: