Wednesday, January 24, 2007

WTF . . . This, I don't get.

Some of you may know that my background is as a college professor and flight instructor. As such, one of the first things you learn is how to not only teach your speciality but at least as importantly, how to do things that help build your student's confidence.

So, I've got to wonder WTF was going on last night during our on-hill training.

First, some background:
  1. Through the process of on-hill training, I've discovered that I'm a pretty decent every-day skier, but a marginal ski-patroller skier. Some of the skills that patrollers use on an every day basis are things I haven't done in years, if ever.
  2. My level of fitness is suspect, at best. My legs are in a continuous state of 'burn', my feet are aching (even with the really cushy superfeet) shoulders, butt, abs, the whole package.
  3. Our on-hill training season has been cut short by almost 4 weeks because of the lack of snow.
So, I've got to wonder why, after almost 3 hours of tugging, wedging, skiing, lifting, slogging, last night, it was only then that we were instructed to take on the most challenging, ice-filled run on the entire hill. WTF...tire us out and then put us in a dangerous position on the hardest/most challenging run we have?

That, I do not get.

If the job of the instructors is to instill confidence in the students, if the job of the instructors is to teach and make sure the situation doesn't overwhelm the student's ability to learn, if the job of the instructors is to "do no harm", then WTF were they thinking last night?

Yeah, I know,when I'm a fully-minted Basic I'll be required to be tired and still safely get a patient down the hardest run, got it. So, here's an idea, help me build my confidence in doing that when my body is fresh and my legs aren't screaming (like maybe the first run of the training session) instead of the 5th. Then, you can help me build my confidence while I'm physically fresh and less likely to be injured.

Last night was an open invitation to injury and no matter how important Ski Patrolling is to me, it's definitely NOT worth getting hurt over.

These "trainers" might be really good skier's and patrollers and I know that they are totally committed to the Patrol, but as people concerned for the well-being of their future staff, I've got to wonder WTF they were thinking was the good that would have come from last night.

No comments: