Thursday, December 7, 2006

Avalanche Training

Got in a round of "slab, sluff, wet, slush" and all sorts of other avy orientaition tonight.

Unfortunately, forgot the camera because:
  • Emilio was there. OEC bud and now a Basic Patroller (took the on-hill last Spring). Really good guy and MAN, can he drive an SUV up hill, chasing me all the way to the base lodge. He's a true Italian, great accent and a super friendly guy.
  • Charles was there. He's a geek like me, was in my OEC class and is now a Basic as well. Super good guy, just purchased his 'pack' from NSP and was showing it off.
  • John, the OEC instructor, was there as well. He just became a brand new, for the first time, daddy. One of those good, quiet and super capable guys. Looking forward to patrolling with him.
  • Some others but like I said, no camera.
OK, so, on to the avy orientation. Got a super lesson in weather, snowpack, terrain and human factors. It was pretty interesting but I've got to admit, after waking up at 530am to deliver a product for a client, I was in no mood to learn about the fine points of gnaurl snow at 930p. So, when we started to talk about V-canyons and their dangerous aspects, I just had to get out of there.

I know, it was rude, and what the heck, I'M BUSY!

Learn all you want to about avy's at the link and as always, comments or email.

No comments: